Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reliable, cheap and fun to drive car?

Hey there,

I need a car for daily commute like 30km a day. TBH I could buy a new car and pay installments but already two friends told me the depreciation would be too high.

I used to have a 2009 135i m sports package, 3.0 twin-turbo manual... loved that car.

I want to avoid high to maintain cars... already buying a used one is kind of a gamble so I wanted to know what can be had for 50k ideally and less than 100k if it justifies the price. Cars other than a BMW can be (if allowed in the forum).

Priorities:
    - Good resale value
    - Fun to drive
    - For daily drive...
    - No known issues/expensive repairs to be done/etc...
    - We have another car.. so no need to go shopping with it, no kids.

Originally posted by Damian View Post
    Hey there,

I need a car for daily commute like 30km a day. TBH I could buy a new car and pay installments but already two friends told me the depreciation would be too high.

I used to have a 2009 135i m sports package, 3.0 twin-turbo manual... loved that car.

I want to avoid high to maintain cars... already buying a used one is kind of a gamble so I wanted to know what can be had for 50k ideally and less than 100k if it justifies the price. Cars other than a BMW can be (if allowed in the forum).

Priorities:
    - Good resale value
    - Fun to drive
    - For daily drive...
    - No known issues/expensive repairs to be done/etc...
    - We have another car.. so no need to go shopping with it, no kids.
    How about a 2013 Toyota 86? they go around for sale from 50K to 70K depending on the mileage and condition. Really fun car to drive but not a lot of power, just enough for some fun. that won't give you a lot of maintenance issues and is cheap to fix if anything goes wrong although I'm a BMW only guy. The other choice would be a 2009/2010 M3 E92 if you can find a clean one for around 90-100K. Now that's REAL FUN and you probably won't lose a lot when you sell it since it's already depreciated so much.

Comment

Evo all the way :$
      sigpic

E92 335i 09 - Current
      E36 320i | Mods: Rieger kit, Matt Black Grills, BBS Rims, ACS Spoiler, Xenon HID, K&N Intake, Fox Exhaust system, MoMo Steering wheel , LED Angel Eyes - Current
      E30 M-Tech 325i - Sold
      E23 735i - Sold

Comment

The suzuki swift seems to be favorite among the local crowd :)

Or go with a BMW with a NA engine 4/6 cylinder...those blocks are bullet proof
        Current
        E92 M3 - Mineral White
        F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
        E36 318is
        E39 540i ///M sport
        VW CC
        E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

I'm just afraid of the E92 if something breaks... not only for the money but for the time. The 86 seems there are many good maintained and for 50k not much to complain about. Subaru BRZ would be the same?

The E92 I saw are all AT... is that ok? I drove a 09 M5 that had the DSG transmission..

Suzuki is FW... and EVO is not my type I think (too big).

Comment

the 2009 M5 had the SMG transmission which is different from the DCT that you find on the E92 M3. The DCT is very reliable. Not heard of any complaints with it even after running FI kits.
            Current
            E92 M3 - Mineral White
            F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
            E36 318is
            E39 540i ///M sport
            VW CC
            E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

I'm surprised no one recommended a Cayman.. any reason?

Comment

I'm just afraid of the E92 if something breaks... not only for the money but for the time. The 86 seems there are many good maintained and for 50k not much to complain about. Subaru BRZ would be the same?

The E92 I saw are all AT... is that ok? I drove a 09 M5 that had the DSG transmission..

Suzuki is FW... and EVO is not my type I think (too big).
                1) The Subaru BRZ is the same with a few slight differences like the exterior lights and maybe a small few things here and there interior wise. They are the same car essentially. Pick your brand. I'd go for the BRZ personally.

This video is a comparison between them although it's for the recent models, but should give you an idea about the differences that you may expect. See: All the Differences Between the BRZ and FR-S - YouTube

2) There is no E92 M3 Automatic. it's a DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) which is an automated manual without the clutch pedal. Heck, on my 2017 M4 if I check the VIN on bimmer.work : VIN Decoder for BMW , it states that my transmission is MANUAL even though it's a DCT. In the options below it states that it's an / 2MK M Dct With Drivelogic

3) Suzuki's not my cup of tea :D

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                  1) The Subaru BRZ is the same with a few slight differences like the exterior lights and maybe a small few things here and there interior wise. They are the same car essentially. Pick your brand. I'd go for the BRZ personally.

This video is a comparison between them although it's for the recent models, but should give you an idea about the differences that you may expect. See: All the Differences Between the BRZ and FR-S - YouTube

2) There is no E92 M3 Automatic. it's a DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) which is an automated manual without the clutch pedal. Heck, on my 2017 M4 if I check the VIN on bimmer.work : VIN Decoder for BMW , it states that my transmission is MANUAL even though it's a DCT. In the options below it states that it's an / 2MK M Dct With Drivelogic

3) Suzuki's not my cup of tea :D
                  Hey, thanks a lot for the advice and congrats on your M4! Hell of a beast!

Are there any guidelines here in the forum to classify a car as clean? There is one M3 selling in the forum at a whooping 200k, I guess it must be perfect, but for a 2009/2010.... what millage should I look for? What should have been repaired? Online there seems to be nothing of significance... maybe main bearings?

I want to justify spending double for an M3 rather than a 86 :w00t:

Comment

I'm surprised no one recommended a Cayman.. any reason?
                    Always thought the porsche's were more to maintain than BMW's :P
                    Current
                    E92 M3 - Mineral White
                    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                    E36 318is
                    E39 540i ///M sport
                    VW CC
                    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
                      I think you can find Porsche cars with extended warranty and then extended it over and over till you die... I'm not sure how much it costs nowadays, there are even workshops that offer their own warranty after inspection. I might as well use taxi and avoid all the perks ;P

Comment

Lexus LS430 then.. :D
                        Cheap maintenance
                        In your price range
                        Fun to drive (on highway :D)
                        good resale value, on demand to the local

Comment

Originally posted by ownz View Post
                          Lexus LS430 then.. :D
                          Cheap maintenance
                          In your price range
                          Fun to drive (on highway :D)
                          good resale value, on demand to the local
                          LOL, definitely not my type.

Comment

Porsche extended warranty is around 6 or 7k aed per year and you can extend it with porsche maximum for 10 years from the car model year or if you reach 200000 km and it has to be already under warranty to be able to extend or they will check the car and if it needs anything fixed they will make you pay for it and then you can get the extended warranty. Also bare in mind the porsche extended warranty doesn't cover your suspension brake rotors and catalytic.

Sent from my iPhone using BMW Club UAE

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
                              This. It will drain a hole in your pocket to maintain

- - - - - - - - - -

Hey, thanks a lot for the advice and congrats on your M4! Hell of a beast!

Are there any guidelines here in the forum to classify a car as clean? There is one M3 selling in the forum at a whooping 200k, I guess it must be perfect, but for a 2009/2010.... what millage should I look for? What should have been repaired? Online there seems to be nothing of significance... maybe main bearings?

I want to justify spending double for an M3 rather than a 86 :w00t:
                              1) find a BMW that you like
                              2) Take it to Octane Car Service and have a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) done for it
                              3) If they say it's clean, it's CLEAN!
                              4) If they find minor issues that can be fixed, ask how much would they cost and use that to negotiate the price with the owner
                              5) If they say it has major issues, pass and look for another

The downside of this, you will loss around 700 dhs or whatever they charge for the PPI but at least you wouldn't have bought a headache.

I was gonna buy a 2011 M3 Coupe from Munich Motor Works that looked brand new from the outside and interior and had a 6 months Munich Motor Works warranty, I put a downpayment on it but after a week, I had a bad feeling so I took it for a PPI at Octane despite it looking so clean and having a warranty. Turned out to be that it had a very severe rear end accident where it was fixed at some cheap garage who didn't even put the bumpers properly so they weren't properly sealed that caused water to get in and the entire rear part was rusted from the inside. They saved me a big misery! Always trust these guys

Comment

Working...
                              X