Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 E92 M3 - Oil top up - ok to use different type than last oil change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 E92 M3 - Oil top up - ok to use different type than last oil change?

Dear Forum,

Yesterday as I was driving the car indicated that the engine oil was at minimum and that I should top up 1 litre as soon as possible.

As I was 30 minutes drive from home I stopped at the nearest petrol station and called AGMC. AGMC service advisor advised me to only top up with the recommended Castrol 10W-60 oil and nothing else. However, as I didnt have spare oil with me and the ADNOC station only had ADNOC oils, I looked into the alternative qualities listed in the M3 engine manual.

I found SAE 10W-40 listed in the M3 manual as an alternative oil for top-up if Castrol is not available, and agreed with the service advisor to top up 0.5L of this oil rather than risking driving the 30 minutes home with too low oil levels.

My question is this:

1. Is it a problem to top up with other oil types than castrol, as long as they are among the approved qualities?

2. Should I go and change the entire oil of the engine asap? This will cost 1910,- at AGMC. Or am I over-worrying? Next oil change is due in 14 000 km per the Vehicle check in iDrive.

Appreciate your insight on this.

Andy

Hi Andy, the oil light is your first warning. These days cars are fitted with so many fail-safes that they will not let you drive if it will hurt the engine so I think you would have been perfectly fine driving it to the AGMC dealership to get the proper oil. Of course, it goes without saying that one should not drive it around for days or long distance.

That being said, it was a smart move to consult the service technician as this will (hopefully) be on record and any adverse effects should not harm your warranty. That would be my only main concern in terms of using another brand. BMW have a list of recommended oils which fulfil their long life requirements as well. A bit more info can be found here: https://www.bimmershops.com/oil-for-bmw

Unless BMW specifically say it will void your warranty to not have a full oil change now, I would not be concerned. The oil capacity of your car will be app. 6.5L I believe so only 7-8% will be of the other brand and weight. A 5W30 is a bit light for our ambient temperatures here in the UAE (in particular for Turbo charged cars which is less of a concern for you of course) and will probably burn faster than the 10W60, but with a 10W40 you should be perfectly fine from a reliability/damage (or lack of same) perspective. The ADNOC oils aren't that great though and assume it is still full synthetic?

Think there are very few of us who don't have 1L of oil in the trunk just in case - at least I know I have always had that... especially with my BMWs as they seem to consume a bit more oil than other brands. An easy way to avoid the concern and speculation if this happens again.

Just my 2C
    Last edited by Tarnok; 17-11-2016, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarnok View Post
      Hi Andy, the oil light is your first warning. These days cars are fitted with so many fail-safes that they will not let you drive if it will hurt the engine so I think you would have been perfectly fine driving it to the AGMC dealership to get the proper oil. Of course, it goes without saying that one should not drive it around for days or long distance.

That being said, it was a smart move to consult the service technician as this will (hopefully) be on record and any adverse effects should not harm your warranty. That would be my only main concern in terms of using another brand. BMW have a list of recommended oils which fulfil their long life requirements as well. A bit more info can be found here: https://www.bimmershops.com/oil-for-bmw

Unless BMW specifically say it will void your warranty to not have a full oil change now, I would not be concerned. The oil capacity of your car will be app. 6.5L I believe so only 7-8% will be of the other brand and weight. The 5W30 is a bit light for our ambient temperatures here in the UAE (in particular for Turbo charged cars which is less of a concern for you of course) and will probably burn faster than the 10W60, but you are perfectly fine from a reliability/damage (or lack of same) perspective.

Think there are very few of us who don't have 1L of oil in the trunk just in case - at least I know I have always had that... especially with my BMWs as they seem to consume a bit more oil than other brands. An easy way to avoid the concern and speculation if this happens again.

Just my 2C
      Thanks for your input Tarnok!

Do you think I should consider a full oil change now, or is this not necessary? There's is now 0.5L of SAE 10W-40 in there along with the 10W-60 Castrol from last oil change and that is my concern.

Comment

Personally I wouldn't race to get that done now... but I know the feeling of taking care of your cars the same way you would your child... so the same kind of decision process applies as when your child is ill I guess.... If you will be worried about it for the next 14K KM.... get it looked at/changed... if nothing else... for peace of mind...

- - - - - - - - - -

Heres another good file I just stumbled across (its from 2009 but should still be applicable I would assume): http://www.bimmerfile.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/bmw-ll-01_ll-01-fe-recommended-synthetic-oils.pdf

Comment

Personally I wouldn't race to get that done now... but I know the feeling of taking care of your cars the same way you would your child... so the same kind of decision process applies as when your child is ill I guess.... If you will be worried about it for the next 14K KM.... get it looked at/changed... if nothing else... for peace of mind...

- - - - - - - - - -

Heres another good file I just stumbled across (its from 2009 but should still be applicable I would assume): http://www.bimmerfile.com/wp-content...hetic-oils.pdf
          Thanks again! The grade I topped up with; SAE 10W-40; is listed as the first alternative to Castrol there as well, so I tend to lean towards OK-ing the whole thing..

Comment

Yes, and just checked out the ADNOC Oil you probably have used.

http://adnocdistribution.ae/umbraco/...ver-10w-40.pdf

The API rating is SL/CF which is higher than b oth SJ/CF and SK/CF as also mentioned in the file.

The one thing I DO note is that it is "only" semi synthetic...

Am not sure what if any impact that has I am afraid.

Comment

Yes, and just checked out the ADNOC Oil you probably have used.

http://adnocdistribution.ae/umbraco/...ver-10w-40.pdf

The API rating is SL/CF which is higher than b oth SJ/CF and SK/CF as also mentioned in the file.

The one thing I DO note is that it is "only" semi synthetic...

Am not sure what if any impact that has I am afraid.
              Great to have the sheet, thank you so much.

That the API rating is higher; is that a good thing?

Will send to BMW and see their recommendation.

Comment

Yes its a good thing, and again, it falls within the recommendations in the BMW sheet... the only thing that doesn't is the semi-synthetic part.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy81 View Post
                  Dear Forum,

Yesterday as I was driving the car indicated that the engine oil was at minimum and that I should top up 1 litre as soon as possible.

As I was 30 minutes drive from home I stopped at the nearest petrol station and called AGMC. AGMC service advisor advised me to only top up with the recommended Castrol 10W-60 oil and nothing else. However, as I didnt have spare oil with me and the ADNOC station only had ADNOC oils, I looked into the alternative qualities listed in the M3 engine manual.

I found SAE 10W-40 listed in the M3 manual as an alternative oil for top-up if Castrol is not available, and agreed with the service advisor to top up 0.5L of this oil rather than risking driving the 30 minutes home with too low oil levels.

My question is this:

1. Is it a problem to top up with other oil types than castrol, as long as they are among the approved qualities?

2. Should I go and change the entire oil of the engine asap? This will cost 1910,- at AGMC. Or am I over-worrying? Next oil change is due in 14 000 km per the Vehicle check in iDrive.

Appreciate your insight on this.

Andy
                  In my opinion 14000 km still for a change is too much since you already used the oil for some time . I know it is according to the idrive but still I think an interval of about 20000 km for an oil change for an M engine is too much in this weather specially. You could ask other members their opinion. Secondly 1910 for an oil change is extremely expensive but since you are under warranty you have to go with AGMC only. My opinion 10000 km for an oil change is better but at the end this my opinion and maybe I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using BMW Club UAE

Comment

20k on a M engine is way too much. It's like not showering for a month. 8k is about right.

to answer your question, the top-up wont harm the engine in the short term, but it's highly recommended to get the oil replaced. If i were you i would replace my oil now, then do it again after 7k, then take it to them when the 14k is due. you dont have to replace the oil at the dealer for now.

Comment

Unless BMW specifically say it will void your warranty to not have a full oil change now, I would not be concerned. The oil capacity of your car will be app. 6.5L I believe so only 7-8% will be of the other brand and weight. A 5W30 is a bit light for our ambient temperatures here in the UAE (in particular for Turbo charged cars which is less of a concern for you of course) and will probably burn faster than the 10W60, but with a 10W40 you should be perfectly fine from a reliability/damage (or lack of same) perspective. The ADNOC oils aren't that great though and assume it is still full synthetic?

Just my 2C
                      Nicely written - Thanks for the input

- - - - - - - - - -

Hi Andy! When the warning light pops up you would still be able to drive the car for another 50 or so km so when you get the warning next time you can wait till you get the correct oil. Always keep a bottle of oil with you on the car going forward and fill up only half of the bottle when the warning comes (give it a couple of days till the stupid sensor reads the correct level again).

Id change the oil at the earliest if I were you as its not advisable to mix different oil viscosities - You can do this at octane or at agmc if you are still under a service contract. I also find it strange AGMC is suggesting castrol especially that I cannot find it in the market anymore (BMW has moved from castrol to Shell worldwide)

I had the same issue and carried my drive to ADM and got the oil topped up. The warning message kept on coming until i ended up overfilling the oil so I ended up changing the stupid sensor and throwing the overfilled oil out.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
                      sigpic

Jerez Black 2008 E92 M3 - The beast unleashed

History:
                      Black 2005 E46 330ci Mtech2
                      Silver 2003 E46 330i Mtech2
                      Black 2002 E46 320i Mtech2
                      Black 1986 E28 535i
                      Burgundi 1986 E23 728i
                      Blue 1985 E30 323i Mtech
                      Hellrot 1981 E21 325i

Comment

If in doubt, take it to an expert. We at Kinetechnik Motorsport know our BMWs, check out this short VT Kinetechnik BMW M3 V10 Pro Drift short VT - YouTube
                        and at the moment we are offering great discounts and even a free towing from anywhere in the UAE on certain work, check out our discount sheet
                        Special Discount Offers April 2017.jpg

Contact Details: +971-2-5506056
                        Emails:
                        Customer service: info@km-uae.com
                        Customer sales: sales@km-uae.com
                        High performance/Tuning: tuning@km-uae.com

Comment

Working...
                        X