BMW M4 2017 high beams not so bright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW M4 2017 high beams not so bright

So I couldn't help but notice that my wife's 2016 F33 428i Convertible's high beams are much brighter than my 2017 BMW M4 F83 Convertible's high beams.

Mine are ok, but hers seem way brighter......

Now I know the US M3/M4 owners have to code their lights to the Euro Lights to get the max brightness due to US regulations but since I have a Gulf Version, that should basically be the same as the Euro version with bright high beams.....

What gives?
    [MENTION=31]Wazif[/MENTION], you have a new M3 also bro, did you compare your high beams to a regular 3 or 4 series's high beams?

I haven't done my first service yet, due in another 300 kms but I doubt that if I bring it up to AGMC they could do anything about it and they're just say that's how it is......coding is also not an option since that would void the warranty according to what Octane Car Service told me....... Kinda disappointed that the more expensive bigger brother has mediocre lights compared to the standard 4 series

I just noticed......

Her 428i F33 has S522A Xenon Light

My M4 F83 has S552A Adaptive LED Headlight

I thought that LEDs should be brighter but it's the other way round :(

when I drive her car in the dark, it's like the sun is lighting the entire place, with mine, it's much less of brightness

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
      So I couldn't help but notice that my wife's 2016 F33 428i Convertible's high beams are much brighter than my 2017 BMW M4 F83 Convertible's high beams.

Mine are ok, but hers seem way brighter......

Now I know the US M3/M4 owners have to code their lights to the Euro Lights to get the max brightness due to US regulations but since I have a Gulf Version, that should basically be the same as the Euro version with bright high beams.....

What gives?
      [MENTION=31]Wazif[/MENTION], you have a new M3 also bro, did you compare your high beams to a regular 3 or 4 series's high beams?

I haven't done my first service yet, due in another 300 kms but I doubt that if I bring it up to AGMC they could do anything about it and they're just say that's how it is......coding is also not an option since that would void the warranty according to what Octane Car Service told me....... Kinda disappointed that the more expensive bigger brother has mediocre lights compared to the standard 4 series
      Sorry mate, havent done a comparative analysis to be honest. Never paid attention to the intensity of the lights cause this city is so well lit that the requirement isnt demanding :) i dont think the LED's were meant to be more powerful. Could be of equal luminosity/lux or maybe different due to the technology. The Xenon lights do seem brighter when you look at them directly from front, but havent been behind one to gauge. I'll do comparative with me E92 and let you know.
      Current
      E92 M3 - Mineral White
      F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
      E36 318is
      E39 540i ///M sport
      VW CC
      E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
        Sorry mate, havent done a comparative analysis to be honest. Never paid attention to the intensity of the lights cause this city is so well lit that the requirement isnt demanding :) i dont think the LED's were meant to be more powerful. Could be of equal luminosity/lux or maybe different due to the technology. The Xenon lights do seem brighter when you look at them directly from front, but havent been behind one to gauge. I'll do comparative with me E92 and let you know.
        Thanks bro.

Another concern I raised ot AGMC today during my break in service is that when I turn on Auto High Beams, I never notice it activates the high beams automatically EVER...

Then I watched the official BMW video about it and it says it doesn't work if it detects on-coming traffic OR the area is well lit, which is why I probably never realized the high beams turning on automatically....

https://youtu.be/l9wSpd750Os

Do you have the Auto High Beams feature as well? did you try it?

Comment

Yes, i have the Auto feature and it works well in areas without street light. Tried it out in the mountain roads and even witnessed the anti-dazzle working perfectly to the benefit of oncoming drivers.
          Current
          E92 M3 - Mineral White
          F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
          E36 318is
          E39 540i ///M sport
          VW CC
          E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
            Yes, i have the Auto feature and it works well in areas without street light. Tried it out in the mountain roads and even witnessed the anti-dazzle working perfectly to the benefit of oncoming drivers.
            Yesterday, for the first time, I got to see the auto high beams in action. It's really hard to trigger it as it has to be REALLY dark for them to come on. I kept driving from one dark road to another until finally they came on.

Comment

Hit the mountain roads between Hatta and Maleha...good for a drive and to test out the anti-dazzle.
              Current
              E92 M3 - Mineral White
              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
              E36 318is
              E39 540i ///M sport
              VW CC
              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Working...
              X