Arm rest leather is melting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arm rest leather is melting

Dear all, please see the picture enclosed of my 740li. When I am closing the door and touching the marked position, my fingers get black. The leather there seem to melt. Has anyone a recommendation please what to do? When I did a tour to see different 7x F02 before buying one, I realize all cars had the same issue. Its on driver / co driver side, but the issue does not happen in the fond.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best

Andi
    Attached Files

Hey Andi,

Why dont you take your car down to our sponsor @leatherdoctor who can give you some professional advice?
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

This is a very common issue found in F02 model.
      Replacement parts will be somewhat expensive. My advice is to dismantle, sand down the area completely and then respray with something like plastidip which would give you a similar texture. I am sure our sponsor Leather doctor will be able to help you with this process as Wazif mentioned.

Might want to do the same on the passenger side to match. GL

Comment

Thanks Wazif and Alaa. Will go there and update. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using BMW Club UAE

Comment

any updates on which solution you went with?

Comment

Hi guys I have the same problem on my wife's E71 X6. The plastic behind the door handles is melting and becoming sticky. Hope this doesn't happen to my F32. Think I might see what the @leatherdoctor might be able to do.

Sent from my iPhone using BMW Club UAE

Comment

Very easy to solve this yourself, remove arm rest/ door handle and just pull or scrape off the melting rubber. It is black plastic underneath which looks good and plus you will never get the problem again.

See picture of mine once finished and put back

Comment

Well done [MENTION=190357]Andyroo[/MENTION] and it does look okay naked. You can also grab a paint can specific for interior application and spray it which would look OEM once complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X