Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Tranny / ATF Issues

Hi and Happy New Year all,

After some E30 advice/help for those that can offer...

- The 92 E30 is on the whole, running pretty smooth. Great drive, looks fantastic and will be even better once I find some BBS.

- A few months back, the automatic transmission went. A new one was needed and was installed via a garage I'm using in Al Quoz. They offer a good service, very transparent on pricing and are responsive

- The new transmission was functioning, although there was a clunk/jolt on the downshift (2 -> 1). It's not that bad and can live with it. The garage advised to keep driving and hopefully it will smoothen out.

- However, there seems to be a recurrent leak of ATF over the past few months. Nothing leaks when driving, but when parked up I notice a few splatters of ATF. It's still pretty red like steak juice so isn't completely burning. From the position of the leaks it feels as if it is around the sump although the bolt itself isn't leaking. I took it back to the garage when they recently fitted a new steering pump hose. They said it could just be a build up of old oil in the sump and that the ATF levels were not low...

SO...Is this ATF perhaps related to the switch of transmissions? The Bentley manual diagnoses the jolt as either Transmission cable, clutch, electrical fault...i.e. pretty vague!
    Any recommendations on what to check to determine the cause?

THANKS IN ADVANCE :)

* Still after some BBS RS if anyone has a link
    ** Also keen for any garage recommendations that can repair the canvas roof

did the leak stop after the change of the power steering hose?
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Immediately, it would seem fine. But then after a short drive and then being parked up you see the ATF on the floor agan

Comment

put the car on a lift and let it rest for sometime...should be able to figure out from where its leaking.
        Current
        E92 M3 - Mineral White
        F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
        E36 318is
        E39 540i ///M sport
        VW CC
        E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

wash your underside and park it immediately, check for fresh oil leaks after a few days.

you will be able to tell from the marks on the floor

Comment

thanks for the suggestions guys - easier said than done given the lack of any space to do this!

I'm checking under the car frequently, looked again yesterday and it seems that the liquid is building up on the underneath of the sump, but not from the drain plug

Will have to just go back to the garage again and see what they think.

Perhaps it's normal that there'd be some ATF leak?

Comment

wash the underside before taking it to them, it helps to spot the leak source

Comment

Originally posted by thejenarator View Post
                thanks for the suggestions guys - easier said than done given the lack of any space to do this!

I'm checking under the car frequently, looked again yesterday and it seems that the liquid is building up on the underneath of the sump, but not from the drain plug

Will have to just go back to the garage again and see what they think.

Perhaps it's normal that there'd be some ATF leak?
                Nope, there shouldnt be any leak :)
                Current
                E92 M3 - Mineral White
                F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                E36 318is
                E39 540i ///M sport
                VW CC
                E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

yeah figured as much.

gut feeling on if you think it's related to the tranny switch?

Comment

I would check the output / input shaft seals and gasket for the leak.
                    Regarding the hard shifts on low speeds could be many reasons, from a $2 spring to internal gears.
                    My advice would be to convert it to manual :drool: increase price value + significant enhancement in testosterone levels. WIN WIN.
                    Originally posted by thejenarator View Post
                    yeah figured as much.

gut feeling on if you think it's related to the tranny switch?
                    If you have not changed it during the swap and it was not doing that with the previous gear then I doubt its that.
                    Most likely its the new gear you've replaced. If drained dry then filled with oil it could cause issues.
                    Last edited by Alaa.B; 18-01-2017, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaa.B View Post
                      I would check the output / input shaft seals and gasket for the leak.
                      Regarding the hard shifts on low speeds could be many reasons, from a $2 spring to internal gears.
                      My advice would be to convert it to manual :drool: increase price value + significant enhancement in testosterone levels. WIN WIN.

If you have not changed it during the swap and it was not doing that with the previous gear then I doubt its that.
                      Most likely its the new gear you've replaced. If drained dry then filled with oil it could cause issues.
                      This sounds brutally complex.
                      What price range are we looking at to do this?
                      And which garages are capable in DXB? My last tranny was delivered from Jordan and price with installation was about 2,500dhs

Comment

You would have paid just as much for a complete manual swap.
                        Its a fairly easy swap with many of the parts available. Check with our sponsors they certainly will be able to help you.
                        If not PM me I can set you on the right track.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaa.B View Post
                          You would have paid just as much for a complete manual swap.
                          Its a fairly easy swap with many of the parts available. Check with our sponsors they certainly will be able to help you.
                          If not PM me I can set you on the right track.
                          NO WAY!

When I first got the car I tried all the sponsors as I needed to sort the first tranny problem. BUT none of them responded or could help.

If you have any contacts that would be much appreciated :)

Comment

Is this your car parked in media city?

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post

Is this your car parked in media city?

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3
                              Correct - that's mine. Wanna check it out at lunch?

Comment

Working...
                              X