Navigation Maps 2017.1 is out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navigation Maps 2017.1 is out

So I bought a 2017 BMW M4 F83 in September, it came preinstalled with ancient maps version 2016.1 when at the time I know that 2016.4 were out but AGMC didn't have it yet.

Anyway, one of the features of iDrive 5.0 / the 2017 models is that they are able to get OTA (over the air) updates up to 4 times per year and you would see a map update percentage bar in the nav screen. I never ever saw that like people in the US on other forums have been reporting.

Fast forward to today, I called AGMC and told them I need the map update, they said that I have to go to the dealership first, pay 1000 dhs (500 dhs for the map and 500 dhs for the labor), then they would order the map update from Germany and call me when it arrives to update.

I thought that was absurd as I shouldn't be charged to pay for map updates on a brand new car, at least give me the 2017 first update for free as per my car's year model!

The people at the call center are very misinformed on how all this works.

I then went myself to the dealership on Sheikh Zayed Road and spoke with a senior technician, he told me that OTA updates weren't happening for me because this was a major bump from 2016 to 2017 and not a small incremental update. He also told me that my car comes with free map updates until 2019 so I don't need to pay. He downloaded the latest maps onto his USB Flash Drive and then updated my maps within 5 minutes and now I have that latest 2017.1 update. The maps have more detail, better graphics of buildings, metro stations, etc.

I hope I start getting OTA updates now that I have the 2017.1 map installed

According to the technician, my car has the latest map software called EVO which should receive OTA updates

Just wanted to share my experience in case you were wondering about this and to save you the hassle and the misinformation, DO NOT CALL the call center, just go to AGMC directly. The free map updates is only applicable to 2017+ models as per the technician, previous model years still have to pay for the updates.

Also, iDrive 5.0 is now available at AGMC if you have a pre 2017 model and want to upgrade from iDrive 4.0 to iDrive 5.0

@Wazif , you might want to do this for your M3

The technician copied the files on to his USB Flash Drive, then simply plugged the USB under the armrest and the update prompt showed up.

He told me, that even if I copied those files on another USB and gave it to someone, it wouldn't work as it has some codes for my vehicle

On older models before like the E9x, one had to enter a code provided by BMW to start the update, but now the downloadable updates which they have come from BMW Germany as per the vehicle's VIN so no code entry is necessary since the new BMWs have NBT-evo

- - - - - - - - - -

Speaking of the map update, now you can see the metro stations in the map from a top down view, looks very realistic
    Last edited by Phoenix; 15-02-2017, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info bro! i'll definitely head to AGMC and get an update.
      Current
      E92 M3 - Mineral White
      F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
      E36 318is
      E39 540i ///M sport
      VW CC
      E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Working...
      X