Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roadtrip to Muscat, Oman - What do i need to know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roadtrip to Muscat, Oman - What do i need to know?

Hi/Salaams,

So we thinking of taking a drive to Oman, Muscat and spend a few days exploring another country.
    Being the first time for me, please tell me if there's anything i need to know?

1. Vehicle Insurance - I have confirmed we do have cover in UAE, Qatar and Oman. Do we need identification of this cover or will the Policy be good enough?
    2. Drive - Basically planning to drive through to Al Ain, then over the border into Oman, drive to Sohar and follow the coast through to Muscat - 520km according to Google Maps. Is this a good drive? Scenic?
    3. Currency? Is UAE DH accepted or would we need to change currency?
    4. Border - Do we need to pre-apply for VISA, or is available at the border?
    5. Whats good to do in Oman?
    6. Anything else valuable enough to tell me?

Thanks in advance [emoji16]
    Arbee

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1. Vehicle Insurance - I have confirmed we do have cover in UAE, Qatar and Oman. Do we need identification of this cover or will the Policy be good enough?
    - Policy should be enought that shows Oman coverage

2. Drive - Basically planning to drive through to Al Ain, then over the border into Oman, drive to Sohar and follow the coast through to Muscat - 520km according to Google Maps. Is this a good drive? Scenic?
    - Never been through this route, hence cant comment. Maybe someone else could?

- Omani Riyal is preferred, but some vendors accept Dirhams

- you can get VISA at the border, but could be time consuming depending on traffic. Suggest you get a visa prior to travel. Make sure all travellers have VALID UAE residence visa (UAE VISIT/TOURIST visas wont work)

- Mountains, beaches and some good food

Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
      - Policy should be enought that shows Oman coverage

- Never been through this route, hence cant comment. Maybe someone else could?

- Omani Riyal is preferred, but some vendors accept Dirhams

- you can get VISA at the border, but could be time consuming depending on traffic. Suggest you get a visa prior to travel. Make sure all travellers have VALID UAE residence visa (UAE VISIT/TOURIST visas wont work)

- Mountains, beaches and some good food

Awesome. Thank you.

Spoke to Insurer, we just need to collect an Orange card with our policy details from them. Will get that tomorrow.

Hopefully we go next week for a few nights. Havent confirmed anything yet but i am looking forward to the drive if we go.

Comment

For point 6,

Call the consulate or embassy and ask them if your will be granted a visa based on your residence. And do the same with your companions.

Some job titles don't get granted a visa that's why you can quickly ask over the phone before eve thinking of starting your journey

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
          For point 6,

Call the consulate or embassy and ask them if your will be granted a visa based on your residence. And do the same with your companions.

Some job titles don't get granted a visa that's why you can quickly ask over the phone before eve thinking of starting your journey

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3
          Ahh thanks for that. Will give them a buzz.

Comment

Is you BMW is on loan?

Sent from my iPhone using BMW Club UAE
            Dhiraj Mahajan
            Driving F10 2012 Tasnam Green.
            No modifications.

Comment

1) U only need to show ur police can be hard as well as soft copy.
              2) Last i heard 2 of the 3 checkpoints in al ain were for GCC nationals only so check with the Oman embassy before u leave. Would recommend u to try the hatta border.
              3) Most petrol pumps and vendors accept Dirhams but carry some Omani Riyals with u. Carry exact change for the visa which is 5 riyals or 50 dhs as the visa office never seems to have change.
              4) U can get a visa on arrival as long as u gave a valid UAE residence visa under certain professions a list of which u can find on the consulate of Oman website.
              5) Depends on where u stay as everything in Oman is far away when compared to Dubai.

Would advise u to leave early if u r planning on going there for new years as there will be heavy traffic at the border.

Comment

Working...
              X