Guide: How to add Apple CarPlay on your BMW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guide: How to add Apple CarPlay on your BMW

If your BMW didn't come with 6CP - Apple CarPlay Preparation as an option when you purchased it, fear not, here is a guide that will help you add that option to your BMW without voiding your warranty as it's done directly from the ConnectedDrive Store so no need for any coding that may or not void your warranty.

Note: In order to do this, your car must have iDrive 5.0 or above

1) Go to the BMW ConnectedDrive UK Site and create an account then login

2) Add your vehicle to your account by entering its last 7 digits of its VIN #, get the security code sent to your car by checking your BMW Messages from the Communications tab, then enter it in the site to confirm

3) From the main page,
    scroll down until you see Apple CarPlay Prepartion then click on that image

4) Now click on Details

5) Now click on Book Now

6) Enter your address/payment details (Since I am in Dubai and don't have a UK Address, I used my freight forwarder's address, you need to enter some valid address otherwise you cannot proceed)

7) Now enter your credit card details for the payment (it costs $300 USD, one time fee)

8) You will then see this message confirming your booking:

9) AppleCar Play will now be added to your vehicle momentarily, in my case, it only took a few minutes although your mileage may vary.

10) Next, you wanna delete the phone you had paired with your vehicle previously and start a new pairing process. The images below are to guide you on how to do this and they are self explanatory:

Thank you for this excellent information and taking the time to put together an easy to follow and detailed DIY thread. Appreciate it!
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
      Thank you for this excellent information and taking the time to put together an easy to follow and detailed DIY thread. Appreciate it!
      You're most welcome chief!

Comment

Hi Phoenix, is it possible to upgrade iDrive firmware?

Sent from my iPhone using BMW Club UAE

Comment

Originally posted by RMR View Post
          Hi Phoenix, is it possible to upgrade iDrive firmware?

If you mean a simple upgrade provided one was available, let's say from a iDrive 4 to a newer iDrive 4 yes, you cannot upgrade from iDrive 4 to iDrive 5 without a hardware upgrade as per the tech department at AGMC though and I'm not sure they have the parts available yet although you can contact them to order the parts

You can however upgrade from iDrive 5 to iDrive 6 as it uses the same hardware and is just a simple coding option to upgrade to iDrive 6 which bring the latest tile based variant of iDrive

As mentioned in the original post, to add Apple CarPlay, you need to have at least iDrive 5

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
            If you mean a simple upgrade provided one was available, let's say from a iDrive 4 to a newer iDrive 4 yes, you cannot upgrade from iDrive 4 to iDrive 5 without a hardware upgrade as per the tech department at AGMC though and I'm not sure they have the parts available yet although you can contact them to order the parts

You can however upgrade from iDrive 5 to iDrive 6 as it uses the same hardware and is just a simple coding option to upgrade to iDrive 6 which bring the latest tile based variant of iDrive

As mentioned in the original post, to add Apple CarPlay, you need to have at least iDrive 5
            Thanks mate, yes indeed, i did some researches and i found the same... the winning part here is i was able to install ///M Laptimer and it looks awesome!!!!

Comment

Thanks mate, yes indeed, i did some researches and i found the same... the winning part here is i was able to install ///M Laptimer and it looks awesome!!!!

Awesome man! that's really cool! enjoy!

Comment

Well done for sharing Phoneix! I am sure will help alot of people here [emoji4]

sigpic
                Current
                E92 M3 2011
                # White Angel Eyes # Carbon fibre Roof # Silverstone II Metallic with Full extended Red Interior
                # H&R sport springs #19' APEX ACR-8 rims with P-zero tyres # Bimmertech Tv system
                # Full IPE F1 Exhaust system all sections , with GINTANI burble tune

Previous
                E36 M3 Evo Convertible 'me Jane'
                # Manual 5 speed with Auto LSD 3.38 with Individual Magma Interior # BBS LMs 18 Rims with Chrome Lip
                # UUC shortshifter & UUC aluminium Flywheel and E39 M5 clutch Kit # Long Beach Blue Metallic

E60 M5 'me Julie'
                # Eisennmann Race Exhaust # Updated Rear Lights

Comment

Thank you ;) I hope it helps

Comment

Do you know which parts are required to upgrade from idrive 4 to 5?
                    Current
                    E92 M3 - Mineral White
                    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                    E36 318is
                    E39 540i ///M sport
                    VW CC
                    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Do you know which parts are required to upgrade from idrive 4 to 5?
                      I just checked on the internet and wasn't successful. so I called Shak and he said if I can call AGMC and have them order the parts, he can intall it. I then called the parts department in AGMC and they don't have any upgrade kits :(

MY2015 = NBT
                      MY2016 = NBT Evo (2GB)
                      MY2017 = NBT2 Evo (4GB)

Comment

I just checked on the internet and wasn't successful. so I called Shak and he said if I can call AGMC and have them order the parts, he can intall it. I then called the parts department in AGMC and they don't have any upgrade kits :(

MY2015 = NBT
                        MY2016 = NBT Evo (2GB)
                        MY2017 = NBT2 Evo (4GB)
                        i did some researches here,, there is a romanian custom retrofit who have those HW, but once deployed you will not be able to use Connected Drive Services and Concierge.

HW costs around USD 500 and it can be shipped to UAE.

Comment

i did some researches here,, there is a romanian custom retrofit who have those HW, but once deployed you will not be able to use Connected Drive Services and Concierge.

HW costs around USD 500 and it can be shipped to UAE.
                          That's a show stopper my friend. If you cannot use the ConnectedDrive services, that means Real Time Traffic Info will not work as well. might as well stick to your older iDrive and have everything work as it should

Comment

MY2015 = NBT
                            MY2016 = NBT Evo (2GB)
                            MY2017 = NBT2 Evo (4GB)
                            Mine is a 2016, So should have the NBT EVO. Would i be able to upgrade to idrive 5?
                            Current
                            E92 M3 - Mineral White
                            F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                            E36 318is
                            E39 540i ///M sport
                            VW CC
                            E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Mine is a 2016, So should have the NBT EVO. Would i be able to upgrade to idrive 5?
                              If you have NBT Evo as I've heard, it should be a simple coding that you need to do.

Check with Shak bro, if he can't help, let me know and I will find you someone who will do remote coding for you after checking if it's possible. PM me your last 7 digits of your VIN

I even have the necessary cable for you but let's start with the VIN and I would see what can I do for you bro

Mind you do, it's not worth the hassle as any coding if not done through AGMC themselves would void your warranty

Comment

Working...
                              X