X5M Engine issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X5M Engine issues

So, i have had the car for around 8 months and it has been plagued with issues, from new injectors, water pumps, reserviors, spark plugs and even a parking brake actuator. I have spent in the region of 30,000AED so far.

The car was running rough lately and after 2 independents had a look a the car, they advised to have it checked by BMW as all issued pointed towards a DME issue.

AGMC BMW have reported back that there is no compression on cylinder 2 and there are scratch/scores on the cylinder = cost of repair 197,000 AED. Yip, 197,000 AED.

So on a car that is just 6 1/2 years old, 80,000KM, it needs a new engine! Since the car is not worth that, it would be uneconomical to repair.

I can most likely buy a new engine for around $7,000 (after a quick internet search).

I am considering just selling it for spares, or trying to trade in against a new car.

I'd welcome any suggestions here.

take it down to our sponsor Octane Service Centre. They have contacts who can source you a pre-owned engine that will cost you way less. They are technically sound to do the swap as well.

Alternately, you can scour the SHJ scrap yard to get the replacement engine at probably 1/3 the cost of what AGMC quoted you.

AGMC/BMW Middle East also has a goodwill program. If your car/cars have been regularly serviced at AGMC, they will slash down a major portion of the quote. Write to BMW Middle East and AGMC CS presenting your case and ask them to help you on good will basis as its definitely not logical to be paying 197k to repair a 6.5yr old car. Push for a realistic number.
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by Mocs View Post
      So, i have had the car for around 8 months and it has been plagued with issues, from new injectors, water pumps, reserviors, spark plugs and even a parking brake actuator. I have spent in the region of 30,000AED so far.

The car was running rough lately and after 2 independents had a look a the car, they advised to have it checked by BMW as all issued pointed towards a DME issue.

AGMC BMW have reported back that there is no compression on cylinder 2 and there are scratch/scores on the cylinder = cost of repair 197,000 AED. Yip, 197,000 AED.

So on a car that is just 6 1/2 years old, 80,000KM, it needs a new engine! Since the car is not worth that, it would be uneconomical to repair.

I can most likely buy a new engine for around $7,000 (after a quick internet search).

I am considering just selling it for spares, or trying to trade in against a new car.

I'd welcome any suggestions here.
      Take it to Octane Car Service. I'm sure they'll sort you out. That's the best garage in the UAE that I've dealt with.

Comment

Dont tell me they opened up the engine?

Comment

I would agree, it is not economical to repair at that cost.

I genuniely think my time is up with this car, having shelled out 30,000 AED already, and now facing a mega repair bill, I fall into the 'no faith in this car' category.

- - - - - - - - - -

Bruno, I dont know if they opened the engine or not. I believe they have technology that can see into the engine these days, very much like an endoscope - I could be wrong.

Either way, I am going to need to get it fixed or put it on Dubizzle for spares.

And, the good old AAA warranty that I paid for to protect against this, is good for nothing!

Comment

I have had the car for 8 months and bought it from a garage in Sharjiah (yes I know).

Do you think there would be any recourse with the garage? Is there not some local laws on the sale of vehicles being roadworthy etc.

Comment

I have had the car for 8 months and bought it from a garage in Sharjiah (yes I know).

Do you think there would be any recourse with the garage? Is there not some local laws on the sale of vehicles being roadworthy etc.
              Hmmm unfortunately no local laws we are aware off. however, you could try with the consumer protection centre in the economic department. Present your case with the evidence of the repairs+cost done and hope that they accept the case holding the garage liable for selling you a faulty car.

The AAA warranty doesnt cover drivetrain faults? is it valid for a year?
              Current
              E92 M3 - Mineral White
              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
              E36 318is
              E39 540i ///M sport
              VW CC
              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
                Hmmm unfortunately no local laws we are aware off. however, you could try with the consumer protection centre in the economic department. Present your case with the evidence of the repairs+cost done and hope that they accept the case holding the garage liable for selling you a faulty car.

The AAA warranty doesnt cover drivetrain faults? is it valid for a year?
                I'm not sure AAA covers that, and their claim limit is just 5,000 - although they pride themselves in 'unlimited' claims'. Yes valid for 12m.

Sent from my iPhone using BMW Club UAE

Comment

X5M Engine issues

Oh no...im worried also now...since im also having a x5m 2011...during this 1 year owning it, I've replaced injectors & fuel pump...and yet when give it a full acceleration, engine fault message display

Comment

On a side note, I was just talking with a friend 2 days ago about people that sell cars which have hidden flaws that make them pass the RTA test and they getting screwed. He told me, to my surprise, that there is a law which protects the consumer if he finds a hidden fault that was in the car such as yours within the first 6 months of ownership. Now you have owned it for 8 months but still, give it a shot with the Ministry of Economic Development / Consumer rights and provide them with the proofs. Tell them you don't mind small repairs as you know it's a used car but this will cost you more than a brand new *good* car. I hope they can help you my friend.

Comment

197,000 (£42,000) for a new engine is day light robbery!!!!!!

Surely a rebore, pistons and rings will be way more cost effective! There is a place called Victorious in the marina that strip and build Lamborghini engines for the royal family's power boats. I believe they will do engine rebuilds for anyone if asked!

I actually cannot believe they have quoted you 197,000 dirhams, some one needs to call the police haha

Comment

Originally posted by shaf2740 View Post
                        Oh no...im worried also now...since im also having a x5m 2011...during this 1 year owning it, I've replaced injectors & fuel pump...and yet when give it a full acceleration, engine fault message display

Hi Shaf

I think I would be having yours checked over. I dont know about your car, mine arrived from Qatar. The car hadnt really turned over a 2 1/2 year period as was back at Qatar BMW for some work before arriving in Dubai.

I know there are issues with the standard injectors that were fitted and BMW did a recall campaign. On my car all the injectors in bank 2 were replaced by BMW around 20,000km ago. That reminds me of a point, a garage with a German sounding city name advised me that I needed to replace all 8 injectors, when only 4 were needed.

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                        On a side note, I was just talking with a friend 2 days ago about people that sell cars which have hidden flaws that make them pass the RTA test and they getting screwed. He told me, to my surprise, that there is a law which protects the consumer if he finds a hidden fault that was in the car such as yours within the first 6 months of ownership. Now you have owned it for 8 months but still, give it a shot with the Ministry of Economic Development / Consumer rights and provide them with the proofs. Tell them you don't mind small repairs as you know it's a used car but this will cost you more than a brand new *good* car. I hope they can help you my friend.
                        I will definately try this Phoenix, it has to be worth a try at this stage. Whatever happens, my time is up with this car, and I will put this down to a steep learning curve. I trusted that the car and warranty were good.

- - - - - - - - - -

Andyroo - I will look at the options to see what can be done, but I am not crazy enough to pay 197,000AED for a new engine.

As said, my time is up with this car. I need to get it fixed and traded.

Comment

X5M Engine issues

Can you go Al Quoz industrial area after the HomeCentre warehouse and look for a garage called Forza Motors there is a Guy called Fardie he is so connected . He got me an engine last time for 6500dhs which had ran for 78000 km

Comment

A X5M engine? But I'll defo contact him.

Comment

Take it to Octane as several members here have advised. Good Luck.
                              EURO 04 M3
                              Current Mods:GC DA's, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo Corners, M5 SMG Knob, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffuser, DIETZ TV in Motion, AP Headers, RT Cats, SS Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, GM SMG Paddles, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R Projectors + 3k D2S, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace

Comment

Working...
                              X