Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bmw X5 E53 White smoke issue

Hi all,

I have a BMW X5 E53 4.8IS 2006 Model. My car is giving white smoke when the car idles for extended period of time. Strangely the coolant level seems to remain the same for the past one week but still my car smokes white fumes. I have also checked the engine oil stick and the oil remains in the optimum level any ideas why the car is giving white smoke?
    The car failed RTA inspection also, but when I took it to another passing center the car passed strangely.
    Any suggestions please?
    Thanks

it could be due to a few reasons:

1. Usually white smoke is due to water/coolant getting into the cylinders, usually from a blown head gasket.

2. the N62 engine is known to have problems with valve stem seals going bad causing oil consumption and white smoke from the tail pipe.
    But there are a couple of things that need to be checked before jumping to this. One is the crankcase vent valves on both valve covers if those diaphragms are torn then you could be burning oil from increased crankcase suction causing the white smoke. If those are fine then you will need to check compression and do a cylinder leak down test if those pass then its the valve stem seals.
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Mr Wazif these seems to be an expensive job. I bought this car a week ago and i am shocked at 138,000 kms the car is having serious issues... i guess I need to approach the seller again and tell him to pay for the expenses... from what you say these are extremely expensive jobs... could you recommend a garage that can help in this repair. Professional and cost effective?

Comment

Check out our sponsor Octane [MENTION=395]shak[/MENTION] can sort you out.
        Current
        E92 M3 - Mineral White
        F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
        E36 318is
        E39 540i ///M sport
        VW CC
        E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

This could be either a real expensive fix or it could be very simple.
          As [MENTION=31]Wazif[/MENTION] mentioned the N62 has its common issues with the valve stems seals and that you can find tons of threads all over the net describing in details the solutions.

On to the very simple fix; If you find your exhaust dripping along with the smoke, this "could" mean you have a blockage somewhere in your oil circulation system. The fix for this is sea foam which I am not sure who can do it here but I am sure Octane can sort you out with that or an alternative.

Try this solution before you actually open the engine. I am not saying it is the solution to your issue but its cheap and theres a good chance it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaa.B View Post
            This could be either a real expensive fix or it could be very simple.
            As [MENTION=31]Wazif[/MENTION] mentioned the N62 has its common issues with the valve stems seals and that you can find tons of threads all over the net describing in details the solutions.

On to the very simple fix; If you find your exhaust dripping along with the smoke, this "could" mean you have a blockage somewhere in your oil circulation system. The fix for this is sea foam which I am not sure who can do it here but I am sure Octane can sort you out with that or an alternative.

Try this solution before you actually open the engine. I am not saying it is the solution to your issue but its cheap and theres a good chance it is.
            Interested to know about sea foam, could you provide more info/links to the information?
            Current
            E92 M3 - Mineral White
            F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
            E36 318is
            E39 540i ///M sport
            VW CC
            E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Check this link

https://seafoamsales.com/

And this video

Does Seafoam Actually Work in a Car? (with Proof) - YouTube
              sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Thank you [MENTION=2564]Hasan Shaikh[/MENTION]

OP, check out this thread. It could be your oil separator. The Dreaded Oil Separator CCV DIY Ingenious Idea - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Comment

Working...
                X