How to find out your DME Software Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to find out your DME Software Version

So last week the dealership did a DME update for my car. DME Stands for Digital Motor Electronics

The comprehensive management system for the BMW engine or Digital Motor Electronics D M E, controls all key aspects of the engine's operation, ensuring optimum reliability, maximum performance, and the lowest possible fuel consumption and emissions. On some systems the DME also includes the OBD-2 or diagnostics module.
    Anyway so I called them to ask what version is my DME now and they said they don't know they just know it's now the latest.

So here's how to find out your DME Version:

1) Insert a USB Stick into any USB port in your car, in my case, I used the USB port under the center arm rest

2) On the iDrive system, go to My Vehicle > Driver Profiles

3) Click on the driver profile you want (you can choose anyone) then choose export

4) After about 30-60 seconds, the operation will complete

5) now, take that USB Stick and insert it in your computer

6) Now open the USB Stick, you will find a folder called BMWData, enter that folder, then enter the next folder called: MobileProfile

7) Now you will find a file named like the iDriver username.mpd, in my case, it was Phoenix.mpd

8) Right click on that file then choose Open With

9) If you don't see an option to open it with Notepad, simply click More Apps and you will see a list of apps, choose Notepad. (no need to check the box which says always open this file type with this program)

10) you will now see a lot of text, just look in the top version, your software version is marked as i-step

Example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><bmwExportData>
    <signedContent>
    <header>
    <date>2017-10-23T10:49:58</date>
    <version>1</version>
    <username>Phoenix</username>
    <vin>EA355555</vin>
    <i-step>F020-17-07-507</i-step>
    </header>
    <body>
    <securityContainer type="vehicle" securityLevel="1">
    That is your software version.

I hope this helps

Excellent, thanks.. so is that the number for the latest version? Any idea what happens to your piggy back tune if you update the DME software?

Sent from my iPhone using BMW Club UAE

Comment

Yes that is the latest update until now, it makes the MDM mode less intrusive that's the first thing I noticed. No idea if it will affect the tune

Comment

Hi ,

The number mentioned is the integration level , the DME could have been updated or not when the complete car has been updated to that level, the complete details report of the update to that level contains which control units were updated , the old software number and the new one , incase of tunes as I have seen with different tuners , they block the DME from being updated although updates are available , or the programming terminal could not identify what update is available to that specific software number installed on your DME.

Hope the above info doesn’t sound too complicated [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
          So last week the dealership did a DME update for my car. DME Stands for Digital Motor Electronics

Anyway so I called them to ask what version is my DME now and they said they don't know they just know it's now the latest.

So here's how to find out your DME Version:

1) Insert a USB Stick into any USB port in your car, in my case, I used the USB port under the center arm rest

2) On the iDrive system, go to My Vehicle > Driver Profiles

3) Click on the driver profile you want (you can choose anyone) then choose export

4) After about 30-60 seconds, the operation will complete

5) now, take that USB Stick and insert it in your computer

6) Now open the USB Stick, you will find a folder called BMWData, enter that folder, then enter the next folder called: MobileProfile

7) Now you will find a file named like the iDriver username.mpd, in my case, it was Phoenix.mpd

8) Right click on that file then choose Open With

9) If you don't see an option to open it with Notepad, simply click More Apps and you will see a list of apps, choose Notepad. (no need to check the box which says always open this file type with this program)

10) you will now see a lot of text, just look in the top version, your software version is marked as i-step

Example:

That is your software version.

I hope this helps
          is the update for the ZCP version only or applicable to non-ZCP?
          Current
          E92 M3 - Mineral White
          F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
          E36 318is
          E39 540i ///M sport
          VW CC
          E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
            is the update for the ZCP version only or applicable to non-ZCP?
            For all cars although the software itself is different. They need to run a diagnosis on your car first then only will BMW Germany give them the update.

Here's what I told them. I told them that my M buttons randomly don't work, like sometimes when you press it, all you see on the screen is the M1 or M2 button flashing on the instrument cluster but nothing happens. after a while it'll just work, it's random so you may not see it yourself.

That way, since it wasn't an issue they could replicate, they kept the car for a day to run the diagnostics and send it to BWW Germany and next day they did the update to the latest version as a DME update usually fixes any quirks and brings the latest improvements to throttle response, traction control, MDM, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X