No announcement yet.

New Radar in Dubai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really dont get this!!! Whats the point here??? saving lives or generating money???
    Show those cameras, people will slow down. Hide them (the discrete look), government generates money! its not logical to believe that drivers will slow down cause they dont know or dont see the cameras. Its the nature of driving in big open numerous lanes, drivers will speed! Give them a reason to slow down! a big flashy orange or yellow camera! :)
    sigpic
    Audi R8 - White / Blk
    Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

^+1 I'd just posted a thread in a similar vein, but its being closed.

This is a revenue generating device, not a life-saver. That's why its on a long straight instead of before a junction or some other hazard.

Comment

Originally posted by LSB_M3 View Post
        I really dont get this!!! Whats the point here??? saving lives or generating money???
        Show those cameras, people will slow down. Hide them (the discrete look), government generates money! its not logical to believe that drivers will slow down cause they dont know or dont see the cameras. Its the nature of driving in big open numerous lanes, drivers will speed! Give them a reason to slow down! a big flashy orange or yellow camera! :)
        :iagree: with you
        If they really want the drivers to slow down then they should install hidden cameras, cameras like these are visible to the human nature clearly..

Whenever I travel from Al Ain - Dubai, I know each and every camera's location because I travel alot, but I have slowed down lately on that highway due to the hidden cameras, or a policeman waiting to capture you.. In short, Id say huge cameras like these dont make much of a difference :dunno:

Comment

Originally posted by muppet View Post
          Yes muppet I had closed that thread because it was a repost of this thread :)

Comment

there's the new model radars as well, smaller ones but also cylindrical in shape & they shoot in both directions.. there's at least 10 of them across emirates rd from Int'l City to Motor City! on average every 2km!

should use that detector again!

BMW history:
            07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Originally posted by Haissam View Post
              should use that detector again!
              I thought you already sold it :dunno:

Now these new radars are forcing me to get one :cursing:

Comment

DAMN:taser::taser::taser:
                RIDE *OR* DIE
                sigpic
                DXB:E36 325I 1992 (sold)
                DAM:E30 1990

Comment

my friend who wanted to buy it was out of country for a while so by the time he came back i decided to keep it and see if i'll use it again.. specially with all those new radars in dubai!

BMW history:

Comment

Haissam I would suggest you to use it, its worth it, specially at the moment..

Comment

you're right :)

it helps a lot & even if you get flashed, every 10km/h speed you reduce saves you 100 AED & potential black points!

BMW history:

Comment

This is a revenue generating device, not a life-saver. That's why its on a long straight instead of before a junction or some other hazard.
                        it was closed but i thought of just merging it with this one :) instead of having so a closed thread somewhere

Comment

a bit of a misunderstanding

Thanks Bruno, and now hopefully people can understand why I've chimed in late to say the same thing as OP.

So I saw the "wünderkamera" yesterday and I realise now that it's not quite as stealthy as I thought, especially since its 7ft tall!

Still I do think that it (and many others) could be placed somewhere where an accident is more likely and that it would be more effective if it were more visible.

I used to get a lift with a guy who had a radar detector and although it was pretty effective at spotting the fixed cameras, it would only pick up the temporary cameras about a second before they flashed, which wasn't much use.

To me it didn't seem worth the risk, as I imagine that the police are going to get wise to them soon.

Perhaps I should just get the truck back on the road, that provides plenty of fun (thrills?) at 100km/h.
                          Last edited by muppet; 30-10-2008, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks Bruno, and now hopefully people can understand why I've chimed in late to say the same thing as OP.

So I saw the "wünderkamera" yesterday and I realise now that it's not quite as stealthy as I thought, especially since its 7ft tall!

Still I do think that it (and many others) could be placed somewhere where an accident is more likely and that it would be more effective if it were more visible.

I used to get a lift with a guy who had a radar detector and although it was pretty effective at spotting the fixed cameras, it would only pick up the temporary cameras about a second before they flashed, which wasn't much use.

To me it didn't seem worth the risk, as I imagine that the police are going to get wise to them soon.

Perhaps I should just get the truck back on the road, that provides plenty of fun (thrills?) at 100km/h.
                            Dont all the radar detectors detect the temporary radars ??

Comment

Originally posted by Haissam View Post
                              from my humble engineering point of view, most of the things are very sofisticated to apply & honestly i doubt the truth of the below.. i think they're trying to scare people with this tower! :cid:

Originally Posted by SSense

Brigadier Mohammad Saif Al Zafein, Director of Dubai Police Traffic Department, inspected the radar on Dubai Police Academy Bridge, which can detect vehicles wanted for traffic or criminal offences.
                              Haissam: [not possible unless there's some tracking devices to be installed in all cars something similar to the salik tag or maybe tracking device on the plates etc... but a plate recognition system?? no way!]

The radar also traces the wanted vehicles and can detect the speed and the direction of the wanted vehicle, whether it was a stolen vehicle or wanted
                              for accumulated fines.
                              Haissam: [not possible unless there's some tracking devices to be installed in all cars something similar to the salik tag or maybe on the plates etc... but a plate recognition system?? no way!]

Source: Gulfnews
                              Sorry Haissam, but yes way: the UK has had cameras for a few years now that do exactly that, using number plate recognition. They are even installed in patrol cars so that as the police drive through town they get an audible alert and on-screen display as they pass a vehicle which has pending fines etc. The Congestion Charge system in London also works on number plate recognition. Needless to say number plate cloning is a growing problem there.

The scariest cameras in the UK are the ones which read your number plate at one location and then read it again at another point down the road (up to 5 miles!). They use this data to work out your AVERAGE speed and then issue a fine if it is over the limit.

Data protection laws in the UK mean that they can't compile a database of where everyone is driving all the time, but we don't enjoy those kinds of protection here... (not to say they don't do it in the UK, but at least they can't legally use it against you in court etc.)
                              Last edited by muppet; 30-10-2008, 11:40 AM.

Comment

The scariest cameras in the UK are the ones which read your number plate at one location and then read it again at another point down the road (up to 5 miles!). They use this data to work out your AVERAGE speed and then issue a fine if it is over the limit.
                                Those are really dangerous if installed here, because once the radar passes people start pushing their legs down on the accelrator..
                                Good we dont have any of those here..

Comment

Working...
                                X