Hidden Radars to Catch Speedsters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hidden Radars to Catch Speedsters

DUBAI — Speed radars will soon hang from trees, electrical poles or even bridges, silently capturing ‘arrogant’ speeding drivers, without so much as the flash of a camera bulb to alert.

Brigadier Mohammed Saif Al Zafin, Director of General Department of Traffic, said 15 of the radars, which can detect and shoot speeding cars from 150 metres away, are being tested now before being rolled out from July 15.

“Motorists must oblige with the specified speed limit on Dubai’s internal roads and highways or they will be nabbed by gun radars which would help police catch the ‘arrogant’ drivers who don’t comply with the speed limits,” Al Zafin said.

“The gun radars will be available anywhere, either in police patrols, trees, near electricity poles at bridges or in the middle of the road.”

Al Zafin said many motorists have been caught already but action won’t be taken against motorists caught on the radars during the trials. From July 15 anyone who does not oblige with speed limits will be penalised. Motorists face fines of upto Dh2,000 and eight black points: the accrual of 24 points for speeding leads to license suspension.

The radars will also be distributed in residential areas with specific areas identified as in need of monitoring.

Al Zafin said he expected a rise in the number of motorists caught speeding with the use of these radars, which he said would deter drivers from the unsafe practice, reducing fatalities and losses in terms of money and property.

The number of offences recorded in Dubai in 2008 amounted to Dh2.46 million — a 150 per cent increase on the year before.

By the end of 2009, 1,000 radars will be monitoring Dubai’s roads. These radars will be linked to the Dubai Police Operations Room, where images from 1,200 cameras will relay pictures to 40 monitors. The additional cameras will also monitor traffic violations such as parking in prohibited places.
    Source: Khaleejtimes

have fun guys
    now it is time to buy a turtle to drive around dubai
    i respect the police but now this is too much, residential areas means u have to go 40 km/h
    I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

man that is too much, y is this, y r the selling fast cars then

Comment

wtf man - this aint fair . . . . . are you serious !?

cummonnn . . . . why should i buy an m3 then! man
        2008 325i coupe
        Stock

Comment

Rant on

the question is not only why they are selling fast cars, the answer will always be "you can use it at the autodrome" many other questions come in mind, do you really control it by putting so many radars everywhere? have you ever heard of too much control and what it can do? are the speed limits set correct to the areas they are set at? I mean SKZ after hardrock, does it really have to be 120 max? do they know what frustration will do? how would all these Radars reflect on drivers in areas with no radars? Did they try educating instead of punishing?

This country with all due respect has become too much in many areas, I feel bad cause I was born here and lived all my life here and I know how it was and can see where it is going, is it time to move on?

/End Rant
          Meskovic
          this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

Originally posted by akanso View Post
            man that is too much, y is this, y r the selling fast cars then
            They made tracks where you can use the fast cars, not streets :nono:

Comment

the fines are also so tough ....how many ppl can afford paying 900 AED per fine due to an unintentional mistake ? now it is just fear of the fine

Comment

I wouldnt mind if they installed these radars in narrow street or streets where people cross the roads, but on open roads or highways where cars can easily do 140 km/h - 160 km/h, why do they have to install so many radars and limit the speeds upto 100 km/h or 120km/h..

Before I would never mind travelling on Al Ain - Dubai highway (Al Ain road) because I knew Id never get bored, drive fast and safe, reduce the speed because i know the radars and use the cruise control once I reach Dubai area, but now the news is everywhere that they have installed hidden cameras on this road and due to that I cant take the risk of driving more than 120 km/h.. This is just very frustrating for the drivers and the authorities here dont realise the negative affects people will have when so many of this radars will be installed. All they say is this is for Public safety, what Public safety are we talking about when many accidents take place for driving slow on the highways. Im sure a study can prove that people driving slow tend to sleep more than the people driving at a suitable speed.

This place is turning into a big mess !

Comment

Lets not get back to statistics - we dont want another member leaving us tonight :rofl:
                  2008 325i coupe
                  Stock

Comment

Speed radars will soon hang from trees, electrical poles or even bridges
                    Radars will be hanging lol :D

Comment

Originally posted by hiten86 View Post
                      Lets not get back to statistics - we dont want another member leaving us tonight :rofl:
                      :rofl2:

Comment

i hate cops!

Comment

Welcome to 20 years ago (probably even longer)... Police in North America have been using these radars guns for a very long time, I say they should use one type of radars, either speed cameras or radars guns... But at least now the police won't be lazy anymore and actually get some work done in catching reckless drivers

“The gun radars will be available anywhere, either in police patrols, trees, near electricity poles at bridges or in the middle of the road.”
                          So police officers will be trained to climb trees and poles :rofl: these guns can only be operated manually
                          ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

i donot think they r like the ones in north america ( i have seen them in the USA), the ones i saw looks like a gun and is held by a police man but this article is talking about an automated gun
                            now the officers donot have to climb trees :D

Comment

This is nothing more then a money making exercise, these types of camera's have been used worldwide and recently I remember reading many studies published in the UK papers show that these camera's dont decrease accidents or reckless driving but rather increase them by people suddenly braking when spotting a 'hidden' camera or paying more attention to the sides of the roads rather then on driving itself

It's a shame but these things happen everywhere and it was going to happen here sooner or later when they realised the huge amounts these fines can generate

Comment

Working...
                              X