Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S62 5.0L Engine cooling

Hi All,

Wanted to replace my fan with a electrical one, has anyone done it? If so which exact parts did you use and from where?

What size is the original fan in inches?

Also wanted to change the cooling hoses to silicon ones maybe.

Here is a link with cooling ideas.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E39-M5-...gine/Cooling/2

Anyone tried any of this?
    Current:
    2011 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade "Repsol Edition"..

Past ///M's:
    2002 E39 M5 M/6speed LeMans Blue|Reuters Catback|SS Brake lines|EBC pads|Dinan strut brace|B&G Springs|19" VMR VB3 CSL Style rims|IATS|Lower grill with brake ducts|aFe Stage 2 intakes|Evosport under drive pulleys "audiophile"|ZHP Shifter with Alcantara boot and Alcantara handbrake boot|+++
    2001 E46 M3 Coupe M/6speed Silver
    1991 E34 M5 3.6L M/5speed Red
    1993 E34 M5 3.8L M/5speed Black

From M5board..

Here is some information I gathered from old posts.

To remove the fan:

1) Do this with a COLD engine, at least one COLD beer (or coffee if before Noon), and allow about 30 minutes. Tools required are a 32mm open-end wrench and a screwdriver.
    2) Remove the MAF sensor electrical connectors (both sides)
    3) Loosen the hose clamps at the intake plenum (both sides)
    4) Unclasp the stainless clips where ducting meets the air box (both sides)
    5) Remove the ducting (both sides), and lay them out so that you can remember which side is which
    6) Stuff a CLEAN rag into the intake plenum openings or tape openings closed
    7) Using a 32mm open-end wrench (I used a big adjustable (Cresent) wrench, WHACK the wrench handle to the right (left hand threads!) and it will pop loose easily.
    8) Unscrew the fan (righty-loosey), holding onto it at all times to prevent it from falling into the radiator and bending the delicate fins on the radiator
    9) Lift the fan out from the top
    10) Remove rags or tape from intake plenum opening (both sides)
    11) Reassemble in reverse order
    12) Test, and report your findings!

That fan weighs a Motza. It was the first thing my Tech said after he took it off. He said I could install an aftermarket thermal, that would be considerable lighter and not attached to the motor at all.

P.S. He only disconnected one side MAF, to get at the connection for the radiator hose. When he put it back together he faced the connection the other way so it could be accessed easily if the need arose again.

I am using the 16" High Performance Perma-Cool Electric Engine fan and their fan wiring kit with "Vari-Cool" adjustable electronic fan control. I found that I had to set it to the lowest temp turn on point. I think it all cost about $300. Installation was a *****. Here is a tip, as in installing the under drive pullys, put duct tape over the edge of the plastic fan shroud to protect your hands/arm from getting cut. Also on the plastic shield behind the stock electric fan, the are two covers blanking off air vent ports. These I removed for more air flow. I may consider better temp gages. It sound like the OBC takes accurate measurments, but the stock gages do not show this accuracy??? So far everything has been running fine. One day this week the outside temp was 98 degrees.

Here is a mod that should help the engine rev up quicker, cut some weight, and keep the rev's up between shifts. Get rid of the OEM mechanical engine fan and put in an electric fan. I used a Perma-Cool 16" High Perfomance unit from Perma Industries, Inc. Ontario, CA (www.perma-cool.com). You can find distributors via. web search (www.jegs.com is a good source). I also got their adjustable 160 - 210 F thermal switch/wiring kit. Removing the fan is easy, just remember the fan has reverse threads. A quick smack with a hammer on the wrench will break it free. The install is a bit involved as I had to remove the front bumber, radiator plastic, headlights, drain the radiator, lossen the radiator so it can be moved rearward to pass the plastic mounting ties thru the radiator core. Not for the faint of heart. I had to figure out how to wire up thing and pull power. I used the crimp connectors and heat shrink tubing to seal things up. Power is taken off of the Battery terminal at the engine. Wires are covered in corrogated tubing for the clean look and provide protection. I set my temp at 160 degrees, and have not had any problems at all.

#19115 16" High Performance Electric Fan and #18905 Wiring Kit (Adjustable 160 - 210 degree F Thermal Switch). This sensor is set in between core tubes in the radiator. I selected a spot that was easy to reach and away from any moving parts. I also selected the adjustable switch as I did not know what temp I would need. I have mine set to the 160 F setting.

Test 2 was removing the clutch fan.

Max HP - 342 Difference from Base +36, Difference from no-cats +11
    Max Tq - 333 Difference from base +43, Difference from no-cats (0)
    Ave HP - 297 Difference from base +37, Difference from no-cats +4
    Ave Tq - 298 Difference from base +33, Difference from no-cats+4

I would say a 11 horsepower difference is worth something, especially with how easy it is to remove the fan. now the question is does someone make an electric fan or is the one in front of the radiator adequate? Anyone have any experience with this?
    Current:

Past ///M's:
    2002 E39 M5 M/6speed LeMans Blue|Reuters Catback|SS Brake lines|EBC pads|Dinan strut brace|B&G Springs|19" VMR VB3 CSL Style rims|IATS|Lower grill with brake ducts|aFe Stage 2 intakes|Evosport under drive pulleys "audiophile"|ZHP Shifter with Alcantara boot and Alcantara handbrake boot|+++

Comment

Glad you figured it out.

sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

I still wanna know if anyone did it HERE in Dubai..?
        Current:

Past ///M's:

Comment

Ayham and Shak have done it all.

And if not, there is nothing that these guys cannot handle.

We are lucky to have them in this country.
          sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

i will be doing this next... we can work on the project together. we have to locate a spal fan from abroad and fix it to the radiator with custom bracket.

for a fact i know that member Akanso has this mod on his e46 M3

Comment

Remove the clutch fan, get yourself a Spal 16" high speed puller fan, make some custom brackets to support the fan on the radiator and the wiring kit/controller from Spal to run it.

You're asking if anyone has done it in the hot weather of UAE. That I can't answer, but I can tell you a 16" Spal fan can suck in enough air in to keep your temp down significantly through hard use. People running 800HP Supra's have used them with no problems at all.

11HP seems like a huge figure for just a fan if you ask me, but then again M fans are heavier and harder to spin because of more blades compared to non-M. Either way, I say go for it, but make sure you get a good enough electric puller fan.

One thing I would personally recommend with this mod is a thermostat that opens up sooner and lower temperature fan switch. But, if the people you got the info from run the stock units with no problem, then there you have it.

PS: Bruno, since you said you want to do it together with Naj. I would like to see you work on your own car for once!! DIY FTMFW !!
              Ow, and where you getting the Spal fron Bruno ? I need one as well.
              sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
              Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
              LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
              P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
              Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                i will be doing this next... we can work on the project together. we have to locate a spal fan from abroad and fix it to the radiator with custom bracket.

for a fact i know that member Akanso has this mod on his e46 M3
                Please keep me posted :)
                -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                '00 BMW :///M:5 Alpine White

Mods
                Evolve stage 3 ECU tune
                Schrick cams
                Hamann Headers (High temperature coated inside and out)
                Custom made exhaust (cat delet)
                KW Coilovers V3
                WP Pro BBK (360 mm rotors, 8 pot calipers front, 6 pot calipers rear)

sigpic

Comment

Is this technique compatible with an E36 Evo II? Does it require the extra cooling?

Comment

I just wanted to share, I've done it in my E30 not the s62 and really got nice results in acceleration... I guess you will have much more fun with the s62 :D

BMW E30 m20b27 NOW | Korando 4x4 (Engine: Mercedes 320) NOW | Yamaha YFZ350 2003 modedNOW | Chev. cavalier 1998 moded History | BMW e36 m52b28 History

Comment

Originally posted by Ozimandius View Post
                      Is this technique compatible with an E36 Evo II? Does it require the extra cooling?

It’s not a cooling mod to make the cooling system run cooler per say… it’s more like reducing engine load and making life easier. However, it still serves as a better cooling option, hence you won’t "need" it because the euro e36s m3 didn’t have cooling problems, yet you can do this mod to make the engine run freeier.

Comment

Right well guys I am ready to order the parts etc.. who wants to do the same mod? Lets do a group order. Ayham, maybe through you? I want:

16inch fan
                        Wiring
                        Adjustable 160 - 210 degree F Thermal Switch

Yella guys.. I want this here before end of Feb.
                        Current:

Past ///M's:

Comment

Another post on a M3

http://www.bimmerpages.com/forums/f6...l-photos-1983/
                          Current:

Past ///M's:

Comment

So checked Spal fans

http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.as...dy&c=FALO&pg=2

There are many available.. low profile seems to be enough.. few different models in the low profile range (no idea what the difference is) Wiring kit and thermo available however I dont see a adjustable switch for manually setting the temp.

I do want to be able to set it manually.

So far price seems to be around 600dhs...

Dear Ayham.. please advise as I want to buy the whole kit and have it installed with you.
                            Last edited by Naj; 05-02-2011, 02:41 PM.
                            Current:

Past ///M's:

Comment

Owww Ayhaaammmmm??? your delay in replying is starting to get to me.

Is this the same kind of service I can expect if I take my car to your garage?

If things go so slow will I be charged for 'slow' labour hours also?

Come on bro.. please advise on correct parts, I want to order them, if you dont want to do business with me thats fine with me.

Let me know..

Cheers!
                              Current:

Past ///M's:

Comment

Working...
                              X