Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting E36 Facts - are these true?

Ripped it off another E36 dedicated forum:

The coolant pump (water pump) will either fail or start leaking around 75k.

The upper radiator hose from the thermostat housing will break.

The cooling system may require several bleed sessions to completely rid the system of air. The coolant low indication will appear on the OBC.

The VANOS rattles like pebbles in a tin can.

The valve train sounds like a diesel after sitting for a few days or on cold morning start ups use thicker oil (15-50).

The brake pad sensors do not require replacement unless the brake pad symbol is illuminated in the instrument cluster.

The brake circuit failure indication on the OBC is cleared by replacing the switch located above the brake pedal.

The clutch pedal squeaks and moves laterally due to worn bushings. Replace with Delrin AF bushings.

The clutch slave cylinder is a high fail component. Replace it and bleed the clutch system before dropping large cash on a clutch job.

Flush and bleed the brake fluid every two years.

Flush and bleed the cooling system every two years. Use BMW coolant and distilled water 50/50 mix.

Replace the thermostat housing with an aluminum aftermarket.

There are no adverse effects of using synthetic fluids at any mileage.

The shifter can be replaced with a short shift kit using OEM BMW parts.

Wheel offset means the number of millimeters the mounting surface is from the centerline of the rim.

Buy a quality clicker type torque wrench.

Buy a Bentley Manual.

Batteries fail when the weather turns cold or when the glove box light doesn't shut off due to poor fitment.

Belt tensioner and idler pullies fail and make hideous noises.

Buy a set of Blitz Rhino ramps.

Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil is available at Wal-Mart for cheap.

Distilled water is in the water aisle at the grocery store.

Buy a quality floor jack.

Buy quality jack stands.

Buy wheel chocks.

Buy a fire extinguisher.

Torque wheel bolts to spec. to avoid rotor warp.

Establish a good relationship with the parts guy at the local BMW dealer or with your mechanic.

Tip said parts guy.

Clutch Judder is normal in traffic jams due to hot clutch plates

Dont buy Lexus type rear lights, its not big nor clever!

Does my car have LSD? Solution; get in some dirt or sandy pavement(as not to abuse the car) and spin the damn tires, or jack the rear up and turn one rear wheel and see if the other spins the same way.

Yellowing and faded plastic headlight covers can be restored by using Mequiars #10 and #17 Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish

The dealer will try to screw you! If there are no independent bimmer mechanics in your area, leave a jar of Vaseline or KY with the dealership service manager along with your keys

The check engine light is USUALLY caused by the O2 sensor but there may be other reasons for it to be set off

The little O with ridges around it are the brake pad sensors. They are in the LF and RR

The e36 does have a 'natural' lean when driverless and looked at from behind

DTM tips were invented by Osama bin Laden....don't support terrorism

OBD2 cars cannot be 'chipped' there must be a software download, i.e. you have to send your ECU to have it programmed or have a "shark injector" to do this.

Chips and 'sharked' downloads merely advance the ignition timing and will not make your car beat a Corvette

E36's are not drag cars, due to their diff ratios. If an Integra beats you, your stoopid azz deserves it, buck up and buy a new rear differential with Limited Slip

Larger rims, speaker boxes & large tail pipes will add weight and slow down your car although you think louder means it's moving faster

When you hear a "thunk" from the middle of the car, it's probably the Guibo. (flex disk)

When you hear a "thunk" from the back of the car, it's probably the Rear Shock Mounts. (RSMs)

If it's cold and you have trouble starting the car, you probably have a cold starting problem.

$tealer survival list includes: credit card with high credit limit, ETK & TIS, an attorney, and Vaseline or KY your choice (they make a nice warming gel now)

Q: I just changed my spark plugs now I'm getting rough idle.
    A: Gee, could it be the new Platinum+4 spark plugs you just put in?

RTFM - Read the Farking Manual!

The *ding* you hear when it is cold out means It IS cold out, duh! (dings at 38F)

325/328/M3 exhausts are interchangeable. 318 are not. The M3 exhaust IS HEAVY!!!

Buy an genuine BMW water pump

All most all shifter rods (not the linkage, but the rod itself) are interchangable among BMWs Euro M3 & Z3 shifters are short throw shifters

Have all rear bushings inspected regularly on 325's

Oil the seats regularly

If your seat stops reclining, the plastic gear has broken inside, look on line order it for $40

There is a moonroof available but it is very expensive & adds more weight to the car = less hp

If you want nitrous, you've bought the wrong car but can be done, you can also put sand in your crank case one is just a little faster at destroying your motor than the other...

The value of a car does not increase with mods by any logical amount

It's a BMW and more than likely its not a rare one...It will depreciate

Yes, red cars ARE faster

This car will NOT get you laid, you do have to have some personality & a good bar tab

A faulty seatbelt sensor will cause the SRS warning light to stay on

Not closing the gas cap all the way will cause an engine warning light just about every time.

Once you take the dashboard apart you will NEVER get the glove box door to line up perfectly again.

Before disconnecting the battery. Make sure you write down the radio code or have the radio code card that comes in the owners manual.

The most popular setup of aftermarket name brand shocks for the E36 are H&R springs w/ Bilstien shocks/struts.

The tire in the trunk helps to maintain a near 50-50 weight ratio. If you decide to auto-X the car, you may want to leave the spare tire in the car & just run less amounts of gas in the tank.

For OBDI E36's you can use the pedal trick to get the fault codes. For OBDII, you will need a code reader.

If you find oil in your spark plug well, most likely cause is that your valve cover gasket is leaking.

You can "double lock" your doors by turning your key all the way to the right from the drivers side door and all the way left from the passenger side door.

The two significant problems on the early 318's were the profile gasket (which is not a head gasket) and the Bad Valeo alternators

Pulsating headlights usually indicates your voltage regulator or alternator needs changing

The profile gasket affected only the M42 engines

The 318's have had 3 separate belt and pulley configurations between the M42 and M44

Cold air intakes do not work as well for the 318, the MAFs don't recognize it.

Altezza tailights were created by Satan himself...do not support raw evil

Chips do work, but the wont make your car wheelie like herbie the luv bug it will simply increase your ignition timing for a more robust/smoother torque curve

Wanted to start answering each point but got put off by the sheer size of the post!!

To most: YES!

Comment

Uh oh.

Comment

im with ayham, most of the issue mentioned i have been faced while im in kuwait with E36 copue, the hot climate kill it :(

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
        E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

hehe nice write up

words of wisdom...

Originally posted by Ozimandius View Post

Establish a good relationship with the parts guy at the local BMW dealer or with your mechanic.
          or let ur mechanic be a guy you have a good relationship with uuahhauhuahu

:E30Cabrio:

e36s are nice cars

we will appreciate them after a few years

just like E30s

Comment

The E36 is one of the most bullet proof cars on the road today. Most of the above is true, but it has the holy crap factor because it's all compiled into one list. If you see the interior noises and where they come from and how to fix them of the Infiniti G35 Sedan, you'd never buy one in your life!!

The E36 is built like a tank, it's got steel control arms instead of aluminum like the E46 onwards, yes it's a bit of a downgrade on handling, but it wont snap on a pot-hole that easily. The M50/52 engines are bulletproof, some might think they're know it alls and argue. The M50's weak point is the cooling system in hot environments and bad service just like any engine. But, I've seen some with 300k+ on the clock and they still pull hard. My dad's had his shop open for more than 10 years and we've only changed one M50B25 on an E36. As most of you know, the Club's X-HPDS car was a 94' 318iS, a twin to my cars before it was painted mat White. You've seen the bashing she got, it was ridiculous. E46M3 have failed at HPDS before and being driven by one person only. That 318iS took it lika a soldier, smiled and put a smile on everyones faces, despite all the clutch dumps by everyone!
            Last edited by SewerSideUp; 31-01-2011, 06:54 PM.
            sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
            Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
            LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
            P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
            Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

totally agreed

Comment

I thought I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight until I read SewerSideUp's post, thank you! But coming from a Nissan/Mitsubishi, a guy like me won't understand a list this long, as I've never owned a car this complicated, with so many moving parts and electrical bits, but it's still less than the cars these days.

Let me find some more gems to share with the club during my pre-purchase research :D

About the hot climate bit, are there any fixes for that, such as a better radiator, or twin fans, etc. for the E36 M3? I had a WJ too, US spec, and almost went for such upgrades until I sold it a couple of months ago. The E36 I'm interested in is the Euro spec, not the US-spec btw ;)

Comment

Originally posted by SewerSideUp View Post
                  The E36 is one of the most bullet proof cars on the road today. Most of the above is true, but it has the holy crap factor because it's all compiled into one list. If you see the interior noises and where they come from and how to fix them of the Infiniti G35 Sedan, you'd never buy one in your life!!

The E36 is built like a tank, it's got steel control arms instead of aluminum like the E46 onwards, yes it's a bit of a downgrade on handling, but it wont snap on a pot-hole that easily. The M50/52 engines are bulletproof, some might think they're know it alls and argue. The M50's weak point is the cooling system in hot environments and bad service just like any engine. But, I've seen some with 300k+ on the clock and they still pull hard. My dad's had his shop open for more than 10 years and we've only changed one M50B25 on an E36. As most of you know, the Club's X-HPDS car was a 94' 318iS, a twin to my cars before it was painted mat White. You've seen the bashing she got, it was ridiculous. E46M3 have failed at HPDS before and being driven by one person only. That 318iS took it lika a soldier, smiled and put a smile on everyones faces, despite all the clutch dumps by everyone!
                  +10000000000000000

E36 1996 325 coupe MT + supercharged RIP
                  E30 1990 325 M50 Mtech + Bolt On's CURRENT
                  E30 1989 325 M50 Mtech coupe MT + RIP
                  E30 1990 325 M50 Mtech coupe AT SOLD
                  E30 1991 325 low 4door AT SOLD
                  E30 1988 320 ac schnitzer 4door AT RIP
                  E36 1992 325 M50nv MT DRIFT/RACE CAR CURRENT
                  E34 1991 525 ac schnitzer Daily CURRENT

Comment

:lol:

E36 FTW!!!
                    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

i really liked the red cars are faster bit :D ma car is black is it average?? one thing for sure black cars dont get dirty that easily ;)

Comment

I think black cars get dirty VERY easily as any dirt or dust on them is easily noticeable, as opposed to a silver/light brown/white car, don't you think?

Comment

ofcourse i agree, its a joke :D black cars in this climate dirty immediately , the only time ma car is really clean is half an hour after am out of the car wash. after that it gets dirty, dont wash it for three days and it looks miserable. That statment is actually a quote. i heard a car dealer in sharjah (abu shgara) trying to convince some poor soul to buy an MB S320 black he kept on telling him how good the car and at the end he told and oh "The best thing about black cars is that they dont get dirty!!!!!!!!!"

Comment

:lol:

That reminds me - might go get the car washed now; there was a brief spitting of rain today, now it looks like african bush camouflage on there. I think a black car would drive me mad - I just got mine washed on Monday night and it's too dirty again today.

There's a wash/wax offer on GoNabit today at Khalidiya ADNOC (next to Jumbo electronics), FYI

Comment

Good luck, only to have the camouflage back on tomorrow thanks to the dust storm and rain combo special!

Comment

Working...
                              X